Attractions

Tabbed Attractions

Annual Events

General Attractions and Landmarks

Cellar 53 Winery 615-934-3353
http://www.cellar53winery.com/
115 Oak View Dr. E.
Brush Creek , TN

Sheila's Main Street Florist
Sheila's Main Street Florist (615) 735-9933

Sheila's Main Street Florist has proudly been serving the area since 1988 with a lovely variety of fresh flowers and creative gift ideas to suit any style or budget. They provide online shopping experience with secure 24-hour ordering, or customers can place orders directly by phone at (615) 735-9933.

http://www.carthageflowerstn.com/
902 Main Street
North Carthage , TN

The Candy Bar 615-489-9244

 The Candy Bar offers a variety of sweets, starting with coffee and pastries in the morning, to ice cream, malts, shakes, sundaes, nostalgic candy, specialty sodas, sno-cones, popcorn, cotton candy, and hand-dipped ice cream.  They offer a selection of candy gift arrangements  reflecting the creative genius of designer Tina Jenkins, who can also create a custom arrangement for your special occasion.  

   https://www.facebook.com/thecandybartn/

https://www.thecandybartn.com/
315 Main Street N.
Carthage , TN

Wish 86 615-418-5902

 Wish86 features the same trends we love from Van Loos along with new shopping opportunities as well. They will offer clothing for all ages, gifts, event planning, personalization, accessories, décor, and so much more! The boutique is nestled just across the street from the Historic  Smith County Courthouse at 110 3rd Avenue West in Carthage. The décor itself is something to see with its vintage flair and touch of southern elegance. Follow us on instagram @WISH86TN

 https://www.facebook.com/groups/1618650911762692/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1618650911762692/
110 3rd Avenue West
Carthage , TN

Historic Attractions

Battery Knob Earthworks

Union Gen. George Crook and his infantry brigade occupied Carthage in March 1863. To protect the garrison, defend the town, and secure the Cumberland River crossing for troops and supplies, he constructed a small fortification here for an artillery battery. Crook described the works in a letter to Gen. James A. Garfield on April 2, 1863: “The battery commands all the ground from the town to right of the Gallatin Pike.”  Also known as Battry Hill, this privately owned site was added to the Natinoal Register of Historic Places in 2003.

http://cw.tnvacation.com/civil-war
570 Carthage Bypass
Carthage , TN

Benton McMillin *Historical Marker

A native of Kentucky, Benton McMillin moved to Celina at an early age and later to Carthage. He was elected to the State Legislature in 1874 and Congress in 1879 for a twenty year tenure. Benton McMillin served two terms as Governor, 1899-1903, promoting the public school system. The “Democratic Warhorse of Tennessee” died in Nashville.

https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=68352
215 Main Street
Carthage , TN

Bragg Invades Kentucky *Historical Marker

Moving northwest from Sparta, Bragg, with Maj. Gen. Leonidas Polk’s Right Wing, Army of Mississippi, composed of the divisions of Cheatham and Withers, passed through here. Forrest’s Cavalry Brigade, covering the left flank of the advance, operated west of Murfreesboro and Lebanon and as far north as Munfordville, Ky., which was surrendered to Bragg on Sept. 14.

215 Main Street
Carthage , TN

Captain James Bradley House

Known as Oaklawn, this was the home of Captain JAmes Bradley, a Revolutionary War and War of 1812 veteran, in Dixon Springs. The interior of the house contains most of its orginial details.

Captain William Walton *Historical Marker

Born in Bertie County, North Carolina, Walton fought in the Revolution for that state. He settled in the Cumberland country in 1784. Walton served in the legislatures of North Carolina and Tennessee and as a Smith County magistrate. He built Walton’s Road in 1801 and operated stands along its route. Countless settlers traveled this road en route to middle and West Tennessee.

https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=68351
215 Main Street
Carthage , TN

Carthage United Methodist Church (615) 735-0343

Carthage United Methodist Church is a religious structure completed in 1889. It’s known for its Gothic Revival architecture style. The building was put on the National Register of Historical Places in 1985 for its architectural signifigance.

http://www.carthageumc.com
609 Main Street
Carthage , TN

Cordell Hull Bridge

The construction of the Cordell Hull Bridge began in 1934 and the bridge opened to traffic in May of 1936.  It’s named for Nobel Peace prize winner and former U. S. Secretary of State, Cordell Hull.  The bridge closed to traffic in 2007. It underwent major rehabilitation in 2010 and re-opened for traffic in  July 2014. It has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since November 2009.

939 Upper Ferry Road
Carthage , TN

Cullum Mansion
Cullum Mansion (615) 735-2093

William Cullum began laying the foundation for his hilltop mansion in 1848, using slave labor and hand-fired brick. The Greek Rivival style empahsizes a simple, yet bold design, which is reflected in the cluster of Doric columns on the front porch. An elegant spiral staircase is said to have been orginally designed for Andrew jackson's Hermitage. It has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since January 1983. This private residence is not open to the public.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cullum_Mansion
609 Cullum Street
Carthage , TN

Davis-Hull House
Davis-Hull House

Also known as the Captain Calvin N. Davis House. The house was built by merchant and former Confederate Army Captain, Calvin Davis in 1889. It is designed in the Victorian architectural style. William Hull (the father of U.S. Secretary of State Cordell Hull) purchased the home from the then owner in 1906. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davis-Hull_House
1004 N. Main Street
Carthage , TN

Dixon Springs District
Dixon Springs District

Dixon Springs is an unincorporated community in Smith County. Dixon Springs was settled prior to 1787 by its namesake, Tilman Dixon, Revolutionary War soldier. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1975.

Dixona
Dixona

 Also known as the Tilman Dixon House, Dixona, is the 18th-century home of Major Tilman Dixon, a Revolutionary War veteran who settled in the area in the 1780s. This house served as a pioneer home, as Smith County's first courthouse and as a tavern.  It later became home of Col. James Vaughn of Mexican War fame, who added the two brick wings. Dixona is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is the oldest house in Middle Tennessee and is, infact,older than the State of Tennessee itself. "Dixona is one of the few houses in Tennessee having been built in North Carolina, and having to not move one square inch."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixona
1004 Dixon Springs Hwy
Dixon Springs , TN

Fite-Williams-Ligon House
Fite-Williams-Ligon House

This antebellum mansion was originally the home of the Dr. Swope family.  Acoording to tradition, the structure was used as a hopital during the War Between the States.  John Fite, noted lawyer and judge, later purchased the home.  A subsequent owner was the well-noted attorney and first mayor of Carthage, L. A. Ligon.

212 Fite Avenue West
Carthage , TN

Fortified Town at the Mouth of Dixon Creek

Also known as Beasley Mounds, was a large village area with one large platform mound 8 feet (2.4 m) in height and 125 feet (38 m) in diameter and three smaller ones. Excavations at the site in 1895 produced stone pipes, stone discoidals used for the Native American game of “chunkey” and numerous examples of Mississippian culture pottery. This location is listed the National Register of Historic Places.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beasley_Mounds_Site
207 Fite Ave W
Carthage , TN

Historic Courier Building

Erected in 1917 by Jere Gardenhire and Fred Myers, this site was the home of local newpaper The Carthage Courier until the paper moved its quarters up the street to its current location. Brick for the Courier Building came from the elaborate Joseph Myer home, which was located on a prominence in Carthage overlooking the Cumberland River. Known as "the most elaborate and beautiful home between Nashville and Knoxville', it was destroyed by fire in June of 1922. If you look closely to the brick details of the Courier Building, you may notice that some of the brick has a very distinct dark color as a result of that fire. This building is now home to a restaraunt on the lower level, a fame and art store on street level, and a private residence on the upper level.

Main Street
Carthage , TN

Historic Smith County Courthouse (615) 735-2093

The Carthage historic courthouse square was the control center of a major Federal base from 1863 to 1865 in the fight to control the Upper Cumberland River region. When Union Gen. George Crook arrived in Carthage to stay in 1863, he commandeered the then existing courthouse for his headquarters. The current structure was constructed in 1877. This two-story brick, building is recognized for its Second Empire architecture style and is covered with a Mansard roof and crowned by the traditional courthouse cupola, also rendered in the same sytle. It is one of only two such buildings in Tennessee buit in the Second Empire sytle. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in April 1979.

Rome Ferry
Rome Ferry

After Union Gen. Ebenezer Dumont’s troops surprised Confederate Gen. John Hunt Morgan’s command at Lebanon on May 5, 1862, Morgan’s men escaped north and rushed toward the Cumberland River. Hotly pursued, the Confederates succeeded in reaching Rome first. Luckily for them, they found the ferry was anchored on their side of the Cumberland River. In their haste to escape, they left many horses behind, including Morgan’s favorite mount, Black Bess. Dumont was pleased with his victory in Lebanon but disappointed that Morgan and his troops escaped.

750 Lebanon Hwy
Carthage , TN

Smith County Courthouse Square *Historical Marker

Carthage’s historic courthouse square was the control center of a major Federal base from 1863 to 1865 in the fight to control the Upper Cumberland River region. When Union Gen. George Crook arrived in Carthage to stay in 1863, he commandeered the courthouse for his headquarters. From here, Crook and subsequent commanders directed the work necessary for the construction of the earthworks on Battery Hill and organized excursions into the countryside. In June 1863, Col. William B. Stokes, 5th Tennessee Cavalry (US), replaced Crook and waged a determined war against the many partisan units in the region. In September 1864, Stokes asked permission to “clear the country” of Confederates so “to prevent them from bush whacking.” The last officer in command here, Col. Abraham E. Garrett, led the 1st Tennessee Mounted Infantry, a 400–man unit largely recruited in Carthage and Nashville. Garrett wrote some of his morning reports in the county’s will books. After the war, he remained in Carthage, where he was an attorney and also represented Smith County in the Tennessee General Assembly.

https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=68353
215 Amin Street
Carthage , TN

Smith County Heritage Museum (615) 735-1104

The Mission of the Smith County Heritage Museum is to foster an appreciation for the the rich history of Smith County, Its land, people, and industry. The Smith County Heritage Museum contains fascinating exhibits on the history of Smith County and the Middle Tennessee area, from prehistoric to early Native American artifacts. The museum also displays information on the traditional local farming history and Smith County’s role during the Civil War, as well as, famous Tennesseans, such as Al Gore, Cordell Hull, and DeFord Bailey.

Hours of Business:

Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays 10am - 2pm

The Walton Hotel
The Walton Hotel (615) 735-9292

The historic Walton Hotel, built around 1904, is the namesake of the first Carthage hotel built by Col. William Walton who was the original land grant owner and founder of Carthage.  The original Walton Hotel, a woodframe structure, stood on the east side of the square and was destroyed by fire in 1885 along with every other structure on that side.

Tillman Dixon *Historical Marker

Patriot, Soldier, Explorer and Pioneer, Tilman Dixon was a Revolutionary War soldier who made the first settlement in this area. Dixon served as the first Post Master, first merchant and first tavern keeper in the area. Dixon also built the first school house in the immediate area.The natural spring located near his Dixona home gave Dixon Springs its name.

Dixon Springs Highway
Dixon Springs , TN

Upper Ferry on the Cumberland River *Historical Marker

As a major Cumberland River port with three landings, Carthage was strategically important to both Confederate and Union forces. The Upper Ferry and landing was located near the present Corps of Engineer boat ramp near Upper Ferry Road.

During Confederate Gen. Braxton Bragg’s 1862 Kentucky invasion, part of his army crossed the Cumberland River at Carthage. Early in 1863, to make it more difficult to cross the river, Union commanders ordered a naval excursion “to destroy every ferry-boat, barge, or other means of crossing as high up as Carthage.” Late in December, Gen. Ulysses S. Grant sent a naval convoy up the river from Nashville to Creelsboro, Ky., on a reconnaissance and supply mission. U.S. gunboats Reindeer and Silver Lake No. 2 under U.S. Navy Lt. Henry A. Glassford accompanied three transports with 140 sharpshooters from the 129th Illinois Infantry, under the command of Col. Andrew J. Cropsey.


Having secured control of the river and the ferry crossing, the Federals turned Carthage into a major depot. From 1863 to the end of the war, Federal boats arrived from Nashville to unload supplies at Upper 
Ferry. Some of the supplies were transported overland by way of Eastland Heights and through Carthage to the Federal fort on Battery Hill to provision the troops guarding the town.

“A heavy guard was detailed this morning to guard boats to Carthage. I presume it will be a pleasant trip; we shall learn when the guard returns. If, in addition to the duties on hand, we have to guard them (the boats), we need not expect to spend any time in camp this winter.” — Capt. Joseph F. Culver, Co. A, 129th Illinois Infantry

 

939 Upper Ferry Road
Carthage , TN

Walton Grave Site

Captain William Walton and his wife Sarah Jones Walton are both buried at this location off Myers Street near the Caney Fork and Cumberland Rivers. Walton was a Revolutionary Soldier who recieved a 3800 acre land grant for his service. He donated the property for the town of Carthage. Walton also surveyed and helped build the Walton Road. Walton, who anticipated profits from the promotion of travel along the route, secured permission from Gov. Blount for the construction of the first section of the road from the junction of the Cumberland and Caney Fork Rivers to a point on the North Carolina Military Trace (Avery Trace) at Brotherton in modern Putnam County. The Walton Road played a major part in the settlement of the area between the Cumberland Plateau and the Cumberland River.

Carthage , TN

Parks and Recreation

Bonnell Park

Caney Fork River Map with Mile Markers and Take Out Points 615-735-2093
Carthage City Pool
Carthage City Pool (615) 588-1656

Carthage City Pool is an outdoor swimming pool open to the public during summer months. Monday – Saturday, 10am – 4pm. Also, the pool is available for party rentals after hours.

Crump Paris Park

Named for a  Coach "Crump" Paris, Crump Paris Park consists mainly of baseball and softball fields.  There are also tennis courts, basketball courts, a covered picnic shelter and a small playground

Hwy 53
Carthage , TN

Defeated Creek Park
Defeated Creek Park (615) 774-3141, or call toll free (877) 444-6777

Defeated Creek Park sits along the banks of Cordell Hull Lake on the Cumberland River System, just seven miles from Carthage, Tennessee. Miles of hiking, horseback riding and mountain biking trails surround the lake.  Hiking trails in the area include the Turkey Creek Nature Trail and Bear Wheels Trail, and the 6-mile Bearwaller Gap Trail that has a trailhead within the campground area. The Defeated Creek campground and marina are adjacent to park. Also, the park offers playgrounds and pinic areas equipped with tables, grills, and restroom facilities. Many visitors come to enjoy fishing, boating, water skiing and jet skiing. The marina's boat ramps provide easy lake access for water activites.

Edward Stallings Memorial Park

This park is located at the former site of the Carthage Christian Church building.  The church tragically burned in 2004, costing the life of (then) Carthage Fire Chief Ed Stallings. A memorial stone and gazebo have been erected in his memory.

Main Street
Carthage , TN

Ivy Agee Memorial Park
Hwy 141 Main St
Gordsonsville , TN

Kidz Central Playground (615) 735-2294

Kidz Central Playground offers a large playground area for kids, a walking track, and a picnic area.

Lock Seven Park (615) 735-1040

Lock Seven was constructed in the early 20th century located on river mile 299.7, near Carthage.  The remains of Lock Seven is leased to Smith County, and can be visited today as a recreation area. Here you will enjoy a large covered picninc shelter. playground and public restroom. In 2018 the riverbank was was was cleared to allow better views of the water from the park and a tree identification display was erected near the forest area.

Smith County Fitness Center (615) 735-2735

Health facility specializing on exercise and physical fitness programs.

 

 Click to open Smith County Fitness Center

https://www.facebook.com/SmithCoFitness/
131 Pauline Gore Way
South Carthage , TN

Smith County Soccer Complex

Smith County Soccer League teams play on the smaller fields each spring and fall.  The SCHS soccer teams also play on the larger field located here. At the high school field there is a press box with concession stands as well as covered team benches for both the home and away teams.

Camps, Marinas and Trails

Bearwaller Gap Hiking Trail

Bearwaller Gap Hiking Trail is a 11.2 mile out and back trail located near Carthage, Tennessee that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

The Bearwaller Gap trail is located between the Scenic Overlook (Tater Knobb) and the parking lot at the Picnic Shelter at Defeated Creek Campground.

140 Marina Lane
Carthage , TN

center hill campgrounds
Center Hill Campgrounds (931) 858-1551
F. (800) 747-2745

Center Hill Campground is just minutes away from the north end of beautiful Center Hill Lake, in Silver Point, Tennessee. Just one hour east of Nashville, and two hours north of Chattanooga, this small, privately-owned campground has the most full-hookup sites in the area, and primitive camping is available for less than $9.00/night. Unlike many other campgrounds, there is no limit on the length of your stay.

http://centerhillcampground.com
1581 Wolf Creek Rd
Silver Point , TN

Cordell Hull Lake Fishing and Recreation
Cordell Hull Lake Fishing and Recreation (615) 735-1034

Visitors to Cordell Hull Lake enjoy a wide variety of recreational activities. The Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency, under license to the Corps, administers an intensive wildlife management program at the lake.

Cordell Hull Lake Horse Trail (931) 864-3247

These equestrian trails are part of the many diversified activities offered at Cordell Hull Lake to help you enjoy the various resources found in the area. The trails were designated National Recreation Trails in 1981 by the Secretary of the Interior. They are part of the National Trails System established to provide quality trail experiences for outdoor recreationists.

Byrdstown , TN

Defeated Creek Campground
Defeated Creek Campground (615) 774-3141

Defeated Creek Campground has 155 sites with electric and water hookups, 63 sites have sewer hookups. Also: Six-mile Bearwaller Gap Trail. Bike trail, hot showers, swimming beach, boat ramp, playground, marina, and two picnic shelters.

Defeated Creek Marina (615) 774-3131

Located on beautiful Cordell Hull Lake, approximately an hour from Nashville. Cordell Hull Lake is 64 miles long with over 300 miles of shoreline, offering all types of water sports activity. Defeated Creek Marina offers a laidback and relaxed atmosphere, with fantastic fishing and spectacular scenery. There is nothing "defeated" about this quaint, well-maintained, clean, and friendly area.

Defeated Walking Trail (615) 774-3141

Miles of hiking, horseback riding and mountain biking trails surround the lake. The 6-mile Bearwaller Gap Trail has a trailhead within the campground. Other trails in the area include the Turkey Creek Nature Trail and Bear Wheels Trail.

140 Marina Lane
Carthage , TN

Granville Marina (931) 653-4360

Granville Marina is a quiet and serene getaway. Cabins, campground, fishing and boating are available year round.

South Carthage Rails to Trails Walking Trail

The Rails to Trails 2010 is a joint venture between the Town of South Carthage, Smith County Government and the 2006 Leadership Opportunity Smith County.  It follows the former Carthage Branch of the Tennessee Central Railroad, built in 1888, and offers scenic views. The path is wide and paved with an easy grade. 

Turkey Creek Nature Trail (615) 735-1034
71 Corps Lane
Carthage , TN

Shopping

Cellar 53 Winery 615-934-3353
http://www.cellar53winery.com/
115 Oak View Dr. E.
Brush Creek , TN

Sheila's Main Street Florist
Sheila's Main Street Florist (615) 735-9933

Sheila's Main Street Florist has proudly been serving the area since 1988 with a lovely variety of fresh flowers and creative gift ideas to suit any style or budget. They provide online shopping experience with secure 24-hour ordering, or customers can place orders directly by phone at (615) 735-9933.

http://www.carthageflowerstn.com/
902 Main Street
North Carthage , TN

The Candy Bar 615-489-9244

 The Candy Bar offers a variety of sweets, starting with coffee and pastries in the morning, to ice cream, malts, shakes, sundaes, nostalgic candy, specialty sodas, sno-cones, popcorn, cotton candy, and hand-dipped ice cream.  They offer a selection of candy gift arrangements  reflecting the creative genius of designer Tina Jenkins, who can also create a custom arrangement for your special occasion.  

   https://www.facebook.com/thecandybartn/

https://www.thecandybartn.com/
315 Main Street N.
Carthage , TN

Wish 86 615-418-5902

 Wish86 features the same trends we love from Van Loos along with new shopping opportunities as well. They will offer clothing for all ages, gifts, event planning, personalization, accessories, décor, and so much more! The boutique is nestled just across the street from the Historic  Smith County Courthouse at 110 3rd Avenue West in Carthage. The décor itself is something to see with its vintage flair and touch of southern elegance. Follow us on instagram @WISH86TN

 https://www.facebook.com/groups/1618650911762692/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1618650911762692/
110 3rd Avenue West
Carthage , TN